Spring-ish weather showed up briefly last weekend and Portland locals could be found skiing, sledding, hiking and of course enjoying a few beverages on decks. However, blizzard conditions have returned like a frowny face emoji and most margaritas have turn to Scotch, neat. For the few lucky Portland transplants this weather is actually what they have been waiting for. They need to put their $2300 ski pass to use. Of course one could drop a tax return on a flight to a warmer climate, but if you’re like me and all your friends pick Summer ’16 to get married, you will need that CASH. When not strolling the streets due to the latest parking ban we are forced to hunker down until St. Patrick’s day with Netflix, if we’re lucky.
Fear not, the Rod Blog gives you 5 great outings this winter on a local’s budget:
1) Go to a Pirates game. You might even see the MVP of a previous NHL All-Star game. Every Wednesday is one dollar hotdog night and BIG LABATTS are 8 bucks. Keep in mind that if you mention Casco Bay Sports at the window it’s ONLY $14 entry fee.
2) Join a social sport. Soccer keeps you in shape and Flag Football keeps the ego in check. It’s always a good idea to force yourself out of house for 8 weeks and make some friends this Winter. CBS is also offering many nontraditional sports this winter with Human Foosball and Innertube Water Polo drop-in play in addition to a winter season of Cornhole.
3) DRINK! But think outside the box. When it’s 75 degrees out in the Spring and Summer we all go to same 5 places down town. Use these dark days to find a new tavern or brewery. If you don’t feel like limiting yourself to just a few, call the Maine Brew Bus and really get after it as they shuttle you around.
4) Play WALLYBALL! In sticking with the fun sports theme. Saturday March 5th Sam Reid (Ms. CBS Runner up) is hosting a tournament at Gorham racket Fitness club. See link for details.
5) 100 swings a day is if what the golf doctor ordered. Stay on your game and hit some virtual balls up at Four Seasons on the Val Halla grounds in Cumberland center. Bring your buddies and host a daily fantasy golf draft to really make the next 8 weeks interesting.